Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 7/28/2003 12:46:57 PM
Subject: this one ain't going away so easily.

low level memory management fubar.

some damn pointer or something is not being cleared. it'd be nice to figure out which one, right now i got breakpoints everywhere to watch data flow, but this is really beyond what i've ever done and my experience; debugging low level memory allocations was never something I ever had to do except in assembly, and this is getting to that point.

been fighting with this for over 2 days now, it was never a show stopper before. The bug would creep up from time to time, sometimes had the crash and it was easy to skirt by just literally repacking a pk3 with a shader with a line feed in it. now it refuses to go away. its seemingly random too. the worst.

note the bsp name in the model string passed through; something is not getting cleared. i can hack around it to stop the negative numbers from crashing, but it would be even more fragile and wouldn't stop what was happening, hell it could get worse. this one might be the one that kills it all, i can back out the latest changes but... they are needed because now it supports skin files in the md3's.

what's worse is that it doesn't work in the 'blackbox' version, so it is definitely something in the damn wf code. i even got a memalloc error (app using too much memory, 315 megs!) on one map because of this error shoving other things into play that shouldn't be loaded, or loading crap that was already loaded but now into new places.

can't... give... up...

_