Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 7/15/2003 10:29:29 PM
Subject: spy camera funnyness

maybe its me loosing my sanity at times, maybe to only me this looks funy but I had to record it.

was having this old issue with q2wf revisited where the spy wouldn't show up in his own camera. the 'hack' was making a dead body and freezing the player at that spot, but due to the way player models are drawn after bringing in md3 support that didn't fly; it crashed.

After fidgeting with it for about 3 hours, I talked to static/zith and he pasted a part of the engine that I had already bookmarked as a possible solution (it was the end result of a function I was about to duplicate). Well I commented out the part that does something else to the player, and the spycamera worked fine. So I had to force how the player is rendered with prediction when the camera is enabled for that player. I am still sorta in the mindframe that this is a mod; now its not. its a game.

I swear he typed maybe 10 words max between the conversation and it spurned a train of thought that produced a solution; proving that when 2 people work on things it doesn't make things go 2x as fast, it can make things go 20x as fast.

but in my first thwarted attempts to implement it, something funny happened. No, its not that I only made the new parts in 1/2 of the code, I just had put it in the wrong place and lost 1/2 the network playerstate data. well look at the avi; it pretty much explains itself.

_