Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 7/12/2003 5:08:12 AM
Subject: RE: RisK

er no. don't get me wrong now. parts of the source are open, i'd be giving you source to a modified version of that, what is still gpl'd, and people could benifit with your work. Shouldn't have to explain this, but here it goes...

unless you don't want to give up your work to the GPL community or can't dedicate the time to figure it out, then I understand anyone refusing to work with it when it comes to an item such as this. Any changes you make to the file system will most definitely be publicized and will benifit not just this build but others working on the same type of projects.

don't misinterpret what i'm saying either. it'd take a day or two to get you to compile what is the 'working' source now, let alone get it stable, and that's assuming that you know how to just step into a project at the infancy development stage, and its under such heavy and frequent development that if you updated now you'd most likely crash; i'd even bet on it.

I'm not going to waste yours or anyone else's time trying to get an unstable version working to base code off of that will also affect stability. It would literally be pointless to work on stability with an unstable source base.

facts are: the parts you need are already done and in a segregated write-only dir that I use for pre-merge checking and diffs, its stable and updated, it's an earlier branch; ready for you to work with, won't affect the major i/o that's currently being developed, and will work regardless of anything that is done with the engine with 'wf' stamped on it, many would benifit, and finally it is about 6mb zipped and should 'just work' with vs6 and above without fiddling with anything.

you should understand that concept; any changes you make everyone would be able to see those changes against the other older pre-merge prepped sources. as it is there are tons of changes being made everywhere else that may or may not touch on what you have to change and those changes could happen at a whim.

when others offered their source changes they weren't to the main branch, they were to the *stable* branch. there's no way i could or would clutter anyone's valuable time with having them try to figure out what's going on in the engine; with other factors that are being worked on from one angle or another that affect stability.

If your contribution affects other 'parts' that require development access in order to resolve issues, again I state I have no qualms with opening that up immediately upon implementation of the code, along with the benifit of recorded results of tests as well as opinions and examples of where those contributions might be affecting other parts or modules.

However, if you are just 'curious' as to what is being done and are basing your consideration of putting forth an effort to contribute to be determinated by whether or not you are gaining full insight on parts of code that don't and won't affect your contributions in any way whatsoever, I can understand that as well and will accept that, just state so and don't waste anyone's time.

benificial contributions are always welcome.

_