Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 7/11/2003 2:59:29 PM
Subject: RisK

yes i understand that, but the client needs to be fed the checksums and always carry it and load it at every "initialization" of the game. after your post i looked into why you can add packs, its because the dll/vm's are reloaded at every map change, one big 'init' on the exe side. in theory you can load a new dll per map.

if you'd like to just 'black box' an sv_pure type code, let me know; you'd be welcome to. i can send you a working source (pre wf, a pre-merge source that will work with wfa but won't really do anything but act like vanilla q3) that you can toy with and get it to lock client/server files and avoid any compromise of hacks. Course you would need a seperate file system for the checks. How to get a checksum from the filesystem I haven't the foggiest and haven't had time to research; how to pass that data to the client tho is pretty obvious in the code.

best scenerio: different checksum, don't load; not in pk3, don't download individual files. Right now I plan on disabling individual files and only loading what's in the 'pk3' files.

if you are feeling valiant you can do some checksums on the exe itself from the client, but that leads to vac type checks like in counterstrike; but allot of people would be interested in what you come up with and gladly gobble it up and offer opinions.

the base source works with vc6 patched, and any additions to nix would be best to at worst comment as a TODO. I keep it as a base to do diffs in case i mess something up during the port.

_