Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 7/9/2003 5:57:54 PM
Subject: ok, listen up

moved this to the top to get some things straight.

noone's charging anything for it at all. When I talk about segregating q3 media, thats because some things are fuzzy about redistributing an engine that relies on Id's media. Those that work for Id projects have no idea, so I wrote the big wiggs, but am pushing forth in the hopes that it may work, but if it doesn't that means just releasing new maps and using wf's md2's scaled up, converting them as solid md3's, going out back with a few drunken friends (cause they won't do it straight) and taking a mic to record some sounds, all in all about 2 weeks of work for some temp 'filler'.

Please think first: Why the hell would I want to charge something for a game people like? I friggin love this game, I respect most of the player base (even if some can be assholes), I want to finally see a working q2wf using wfa media with all it's weapons and abilities... and get feedback for the possible q4wf. that's my drive. If one person likes it and had a cool game with me, that's my reward enough. Simply stated. I'm not remaking wfa, i'm not remaking wf. I'm making a fusion of the two using the qfusion base.

but listen carefully before everyone gets all riled up:

the modsource licensing is different then the exe. The exe source I may have to release, once its cleaned up, noted changes, etc. whenever that is. I might be bound to because it's GPL, but that part is up to Id. An older modsource is already released for q2wf and is not GPL. Changes to modsource are not GPL'd. Just because the engine went GPL does not mean the modsource just up and went GPL.

I had to rewrite some of the exe in order to get wf to be self contained and then build on the modsource to adjust it to the engine, so engine tweaks are not really going to make any sense to anyone.

Noone can use the WFA media besides WFS, because WF/WFA is not open source. We already went through this with Id with fs_basegame and mods using other mod's media, so anyone attempting to do so violates copyrights. (That also includes any works that were previously released with WFa's EULA.)

So don't get your hopes up that you'll be able to tweak this or change that in the source. If you are a capable person with something to contribute I have no qualms about working with people. If you add one function or fix 20, you are an asset because you saved me time and will get due credit. Read the fusion FAQ, follow that link on the bottom of the page.

However if you read what q2wf is, you'd see you have the ability to change the foundations of what people think WFA current is... because they never knew q2wf. you can modify: weapon types, weapon models, player models, skins, weapon damage, amount of classes, class assigned weapons, ammo, armor, health, special abilities, map entities and more... all externally from files outside the engine. so the engine literally becomes basically a 'roll your own' type game. You want lucy as a gunner? fine. Want to just have 2 classes and give them every weapon and special ability under the sun? fine. just don't expect that part to be documented that well, its documented in the q2wf manual enough and would be a waste of my time.

_