Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 6/24/2003 3:10:55 PM
Subject: RE: about the hacked maps...

it pisses me off and its wrong. its like taking a hex editor the the vm's to change grapple speed and saying 'HEY, I RELEASED MY OWN VERSION OF WFA' and taking credit for it.

You don't like it, go get 3.3 and put that on a server.

IF I had the source for theslab and static's permission I would've given it to anyone who asked (but it was lost, thats why the remake). Hell the original slab source from wf is availabe (i think, ask v3n0m); just needs to do some scaling, retexturing, caulking, entity replace/placement. Almost all of that work can be done inside simple text editor. considering the original was maybe 20 brushes total it wouldn't take that long to do from scratch.

Besides it screws things up; thats why it was pulled. And hacking it is worse especially if you don't know what you are doing. You ask anyone who does games professionally they will say the same thing; just recompile it. And this is also coming from the person who built the latest compilers for all the latest retail q3 engine games.

Acrid did the same thing with TC maps btw, its the same reason. Although they don't 'not load', they just load sorta broken.

And the public's reaction is the difference between night and day when you compare any mod communities to wfa; but those people who want older maps set upon themselves to recreate them in the way they wanted to make them; they take the time to do things the proper way and share their sources with a group of people.

its sick, say a prayer.

_