Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 6/20/2003 4:56:34 AM
Subject: RE: Damn

omg you don't want to see the windiffs. and i do backup almost every build, incrementally. and i do use cvs for allot of things, just not this.

the first merge looked like, well, hard to explain. 3k errors easily.

this has been an error from the start, it didn't just appear. actually it appeared because i was able to render everything.

i'm passing data to the server, or the server is passing data to the client out of order. i vaguely remember reading something a while back about how data strings are handled, and what orders in what definitions need to mirror each other in the structure definitions.

thing is each tute that exists that i've ever read, that i ever seen and done has only little additions to the engine, not a full blown merge of this magnitude. and when i ask on any forum they just go quiet.

Things that are blatently wrong:

classes don't have all their weapons (.class file is fine)
lasers blow up for no reason
im going nuts from dualing keeps music.
all grenades cause an error when they explode (broadcast phs,pvs)
depot causes an error when it explodes (broadcast pvs,phs)
if i remove the broadcasts they are fine.

i see prints on the hud that are inside the debug code

everything renders fine. the hud works as it should, the sentry tracks as it should, the turrets do what they should do. almost all media is ported. (the decision to not make things bob like in q3 was mine) its when there are certain explosions, all (self) type explosions, stuff goes screwy.

commands are just sent out of order or the wrong ones. that post above was a cmd to join a server that was already there, not a /reconnect but i can't really explain it easily. that should not happen, regardless. it would've crashed with an error, but since i have my hands on the exe i'm just stepping over the crash and printing out the commands so maybe i can make sense out of it all.

to show what i mean in the hud (ok, i'm using stock q3 stuff for the hud) look at the print in the lower left. ignore the extra char in the screenshot name, i have a new q3font that looks like q2 in there and its not working yet.

its sick, say a prayer.

_