Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 6/19/2003 1:57:54 AM
Subject: RE: heh im goin nuts

well its not just that, fact is that both acrid and static know more about stuff then I do in allot of areas, like how to fix something when its broken beyond belief. me, i need to literally print out sheets of code and go through it with a highlighter, or comment the hell out of it and index my comments in something else. then again, sometimes i just fix things cause it 'looks' wrong. i dunno how else to explain it. i think its what some hate most, slight-of-hand coding. That is until something breaks or its in need of a revamp, then its time for all the proper tabs.

like this stupid grenade error. it doesn't crash the game hard, i get an error due to things sending the wrong data at the wrong time or out of order. i never messed with raw netcode like this especially at the engine level. god what great things are in q2 vs whats in q3; i can understand why people still like to map in the q2 engine due to manipulating entities.

making a searchlight? its a snap. need to make a dusk till dawn effect? easy as pie. you should SEE some of the stuff that was coded into q2wf that was never used due to performance hits.

on p5/and k6 233's at the time. with voodoo2 cards. so you can understand my giddyness. i wonder why noone attempted it before :/

Something you need but don't have? code it. Need a mirror? code it. Need a camera portal? code it. its that easy. map crashes with bad command byte? well guess what, now i can find out WHY its sending null strings, cause i have it at the engine level.

there was absolutely noone to help me with this. when i asked acrid about some vector error he said 'just change it' and assumed i knew wtf the error was. i was able to figure it out, but that pretty much set the level of help i was gonna get from anyone on this. besides, i was fully pumped coming out of the truecombat release and hyperaware of everything, from picking apart code and level design stuff.

Which btw is why i'm posting in here, the wfa maps use dlights awesomely, stock q3 maps look like turd. and knowing the wfa maps like the back of my hand helps since i can inject entities if i want to.

i dunno, noone to talk to, so i ramble in here. my g/f gets this glazed look in her eyes sorta like i get when she starts talking about ancient greek.

if anything comes out of this, i can state that i merged all the source codes of q2wf from the start till 5.0, understanding why each change was done and for what reason, and why so many people invested so much time into the mod.

just cause it was cool.

its sick, say a prayer.

_