Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 4/22/2003 1:12:42 PM
Subject: RE: .

no he's not a dolt, i was experimenting with tenebrae first because, well, it was open source and i could build the engine on my machine for my card's drivers. I talked about it, talked about getting q3 md3's in it, even got as far as putting static player models in it. It is q1 technology, but only in name only (and the sound system sucks).

I did port a map to get inside of it but the verex counts were way way too high for my card and I was getting tearing and overflows here and there. Wasn't even worth it to post any images, but I do have what i've done burned onto cd just in case someone else finds out where the errors are or the day comes when i can afford a new hybrid video card.

After the tons of work with tenebrae and finding a few 'engines' that were open source and messing around with them, I looked back and well, took the next step.

The hardest thing about the nextgen engines is going to be the assets; the models, the texture/surfaces, etc. that will take up allot of time. I mean allot. Even though allot of this is done day-to-day, it requires a layout-type thinking that usually is done in films.

The strongest thing that WFA level designers have going for them is the strict adherence for optimization of the engine. That pic couldnt've happened with the older map without spending the 50 or so hours on optimizing it.

The casual wfa critic will look at the old and the new and say 'so what? give me my old stuff back!'. This is understood and was expected. But after all that toil the maps are damn close to 'plug-n-play'. I don't think any mod has that going for them.

:)

_