Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 4/23/2003 9:50:51 PM
Subject: more about mod creation

plus there's exactly one shitload of, well, for lack of a better word 'hacks' that need to be tested with just what baseq3 stuff works with.

not putting you down at all, don't get me wrong, but I never saw you in the mapping engine channels (where splashdamage, rouge, tenebrae, raven, ID hung out in). I've been downloading off of their trunks, part of their beta teams, all that fun fucking stuff that noone cares about but someone needs to do. It's not for any fucking glory or power trip, its because it needs to be done.

I know tweaking some math here or there might make you happy, but after dealing with static and causing him to ignore me for a week straight with all the info all of us were flooding him with the new level tech, it was truthfully a team issue that came forth and shined after all was said and done. Static put up with us, he learned as we learned, he absorbed and listened to us. We are also very shorthanded in what some would call simple things, like the ui for example. There is so much work that could've been done but without any help its exactly as you see it, what we can do we do, what we can't do we sorta improvise on. Besides the only thing I was really hacking away with was the bot AI to help the new players learn the mod, and because I really wanted a challenge when I was bored.

Thank god we have people like v3, femme, rav, belac, dman, klonax, static, acrid, naraka, dk, ice, anthrax, dlb to help with things. That's really the core team right there that made wfa what it is, regardless what people say that's what i believe. the time issue, experimenting with things during free time is gonna shift. You should just SEE the shit that Acrid is working on with truecombat. Not that wfa couldn't go there, but direct work with dedicated coders who know their shit is so important it's not funny. Hacking mods together is one thing, hell even I did that to help with wfa, but putting the whole shiny thing together is what takes time and effort.

Seeing progress is also something that drives everyone. The coolest code can be anything you want, but if it doesn't capture anyone's interest including the artists behind the textures, the levels, its worth what exactly? just a dream.

This is some custom stuff that's been going on in Acrid's latest mod and that I've put together. I haven't pimped it because my heart is in WFA, but this is some custom stuff that it's offering and as far as realism it really does kick ass probably on the same level as splinter cell. I know, I know, its not wfa, but its something that shows what a energetic concept can inspire in those that work with realizing their dreams into actual concept. Working with the coders is something that is intimate and demands respect as well as patience. That's what I haven't seen from you, inf. This takes time, energy, and an open mind. It's work for work's sake. One of the coolest things about tc is that all the settings are locked, so its a wysiwyg deal just like working with xbox or ps2 environments. That's what q4 is going to be like for us, if its decided to be done if and only if the modsource comes out.

_