Author: Infernal <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 4/23/2003 6:35:21 PM
Subject: RE: Rav

It still sounds wrong to me because it appears to not check if the 2 objects would have collided between frames. In a brute force system this may seem impossible, but the simple distance test would make it easy to pick the pairs of objects that may have passed through each other. generate spheres around their BB's do the early out tests to see if they may have collided or not, VERY FAST tests btw, if it makes it through throw in a bb test if you really need to.

Now I assumed your lasers performed their think function each server frame. Hell, my old game using brute force with early out sphere sphere tests runs at 500fps on amd 1800+ machines while rendering to screen. and it was poorly made so it did actually perform these tests once per rendered frame. It had limits of 200 active enemyfire and 100 active player fire in memmory at once with 20 - 30 enemy ships on screen at once. My new version of the game will have physics fps of 30 with rendering fps of whatever the vid card can produce.
_