Author: Noob Jones <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 9/4/2002 5:59:35 PM
Subject: RE: Is there any thing wrong with

Well the main reason I want to only use a few textures is not for preformance but because I think it will look better. If I use many complex textures they will distract the eye from the brushwork. I plan on useing only high res textures 512-512, I may use 1024-1024 textures as older cards [pre-geforce] will automaticly just scale the texture to 512-512 so they will not see a fps drop anyway. The textures I do use will be custom made to enhance the brushwork of the map so less textures can go further than many 'generic' textures. It may end up to be as many as 6-8 textures and then another 6-8 for the other base. One simple texture that is just a set of lines on a curve patch can show off the curve better than any high complexity texture will be able to. I understand completely that brushwork demands more from the CPU and that textures are a demand for the video card, you can not just trade one for the other. However they do go hand and hand to an extent, a frame will take X time to be drawn by the CPU and then Y time to be 'painted' by the GPU so the total time will be X + Y = Z time. Now if I cut down on Y then Z will be lower and I can then raise X to take Z back up.

I put the new in b.

_