Author: [FnL]Raven0us <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 7/31/2002 3:05:56 PM
Subject: RE: Rav

lol kami, I had to find all this stuff out on my own! =[

I'll put togeather an explanation on what vis is tonight. I think I can better explain with a few pictures. But let me see if I can give a lame example:

Say you have 2 rooms...connected by a short hallway. If your standing in one room, you can see down the hallway, and into the other room. So the other room is VISable, and thus being drawn.

Now, lets say, that you build your self a small chair. You take this chair which is made up of lets say, 10 brushes, and you stick it in the hallway between the two rooms.

If your standing in one of these rooms, would the chair, block visibility of the room completly? Nope, you would be able to see the room BEYOND the chair, because the chair does not block VISability.

So you make the chair detail. When the game goes to compile, it ignores the detail brushes, and does not waste time trying to figure out if those 10 brushes somehow block vis from one area to the next.

Expand this idea into everything you make. If it can't block vis, it should be detail. Trim along walls, steps of stairs, light fixtures, anything that could in no way block vis from one area to the next.

As you can see in that caulk hull map - EVERYTHING is detail heh, except the hull itself.

Since detail brushes don't block vis, your map will leak if a detail brush is touching the void. (heance the caulk hull idea).

Hope that helped. I'll see if I can make some pictures to better explain vis. I haven't seen a whole lot of q3 tuts on the subject.

[FnL]Raven0us

_