Author: {wf}shadowspawn <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 7/16/2002 5:59:19 AM
Subject: We are going to need testers soon.....

For some of these maps with the features, we will need to see how they hit fps. It doesn't require much, as a matter of fact it requires nothing more then de-tweaking your configs (renaming q3config.cfg to q3config2.cfg) in baseq3 and wfa; yea you will have to rebind but the idea is to take away any tweaks that are not standard through the menu and let everyone know what video settings (resolution, picmip, lightmap, etc) you use. You go back to the old way by deleting the q3config's and renaming the q3config2's back to what they were.

I'll leave it up to rav to lay down the law... I think we have 2 maps with skyportals as well as some with particles here and there.

If you have a map, make a quick demo of capping the flag twice, this way everyone can timedemo it to get baseline performance comparisons. Timedemo's are cool; you just play a demo and it pumps through it as fast as possible and reports back the fps.

If you are brave you can fire up a compile with the old q3map and test that as well; ydnar would be interested in seeing comparison fps tests between the builds. I tried it and got one map with better fps one with slightly less; it was because of compile options and the bsp's lightmap 'weight'. Vertex is always better for my tests.

These are going to be performance feedbacks. Design feedbacks are welcome as well, but right now the eyes are on performance.

_